Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Current Obsession: Leather "Cabaret" Gloves

Long leather gloves made a major comeback on the runways in 2007 [Burberry Prorsum was a huge player in this resurgence], and they are still going strong...though I would argue they are timeless classics, anyway! I don't know why I didn't try the look out earlier -- I think it was because I was going through an uber-casual phase and felt they were a bit dramatic at the time. Well, that has passed and I'm completely enamored by the idea of wearing a 3/4 sleeve coat with a pair of these fabulous cabaret-inspired gloves, ala 1930's Berlin and Marlene Dietrich in Blonde Venus:

7 comments:

Poke Salad Annie said...

oh, i love it! so glamorous with a pinch of badass :) hurry up n get here fall!

promenade idiote said...

I don't know, this reminds me of something Ryan would use in one of his "games."

Unknown said...

I am a little skeptical of the patent leather.
Perhaps start with normal leather and work up to the patent?
But what the hell, maybe since you are going with 1/2 to 3/4 length leather gloves, you should just go all the way.

Paul Pincus said...

so glamorous with a pinch of badass

that's so true!

you've got the great eye, tara!

the image of dietrich in blonde venus is too much! i LOVE it.

Chrissy Foreman C said...

I really LOVE the long glam gloves, but I just can't see how I could possibly get away with wearing them down the shops!

{Tara} said...

Annie -- "glamorous with a pinch of badass": exactly what I aspire to be, LOL!

JM -- Oh, Lord. You are right. Thanks for commenting for the first time ever...and being pervy ;)

Joesphus -- wow! the boys have jumped on the bandwagon! I think the patent ones could work [and not look S&M] if you wore them with a nice 50's style coat or dress -- something demure, to balance it!

Paul -- Thanks!! Yes, Marlene in that film is to die for!

Chrissy -- They do seem impractical, don't they?? But, they look so fun!

Courtney said...

I love these last couple images--so sexy and fabulous!