Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Jewelry through the Ages: Christie's Jewelry Auctions

As if I don't already have enough research to do for my own work/school, I seem to enjoy finding more and more things to obsessively pore over...lately, I have been interested in learning more about antique jewelry, and I have discovered that auction websites are a great way to find out information and peruse beautiful images of all manner of gorgeous bobbles from bygone eras. If you are blessed with having more money than God, you can buy practically any kind of jewelry (from antiquity to present day) at Christie's Auction House. I love looking through their online catalogs and pondering over which time period produced my favorite jewelry styles. I have not come to any decision, though I do tend to be partial to Art Nouveau and Art Deco. They are all so special -- which do you prefer?

Christie's recently sold a huge lot of ancient jewelry [2nd and 3rd century B.C.]. It somehow seems so modern:










Belle Epoque Jewelry [1910's]. Filled with diamonds and very girly and ethereal:



Art Nouveau [1890's - early 20th century]. Organic, whimsical, and intricate:





Art Deco [1920's]. There is such an architectural feel to these pieces, and the colors are rich:





Vintage 1940's. Colorful and fun -- a mix of previous decades:


17 comments:

Milla said...

A friend of mine got a necklace made of Roman coins from her boyf, who was an archeologist (he bought it though-no crime involved;). I always thought that was the sweetest present.

Prairie Gothic said...

Beautiful examples!

{Tara} said...

Milla -- That is an amazing gift. Actually, some of the older jewelry is not even that expensive surprisingly...well, several thousand dollars, but people spend that much on an ugly diamond ring, LOL. I would rather have something with some history!

Christie -- Thanks, my dear!

Couture Carrie said...

The more things change the more they remain the same! What lovely antique pieces. My fave is the one with the huge magenta stone!

xoxox,
CC

{Tara} said...

carrie -- The deco piece with the magenta is probably my favorite, too. So eye-catching!

Unknown said...

These are some great pieces. You really do have a good eye!

Anastasia – Master Hair Designer http://www.stylebyanastasia.com

{Tara} said...

Anastasia -- Thanks so much!! I just have a lot of time to procrastinate and do research!! ;)

Brigid said...

I love art deco and art nouveau. The second and third nouveau pieces are my favorite. I love those ladies in their bathing caps. Ever since seeing "The Duchess," I've been interested in late-18th century stuff. It's very beautiful.

Unknown said...

Love the snake ring and the diamond bow. Beautiful!

{Tara} said...

brigid -- I know --I wish these would come back into fashion a bit more (i.e. that someone start making an affordable version, LOL).

style pa -- Yes, the snake ring is so cool and current!

Cris Piera said...

oh, I love art deco jewels!

I hope my boyfriend gets it soon and makes me as happy as Milla ;-)

big, colourful hugs from Barcelona!

{Tara} said...

Cris-- thanks my dear!! I would be quite happy to get a piece of art deco jewelry from boyf, too...or anyone for that matter!!

Celia Pleete said...

I'm such a sucker for Nouveau and Deco pieces. Gorgeous examples!

Vintage Lollipops said...

So many gorgeous pieces... I'm loving the snake!
xxx

lune_blanc said...

what lovely pieces!! I love looking at auction catalogues too, like christie's and Sothebuy's. I cannot imagine myself buying any of them, but just looking at them makes me sigh....hopefully I'll get a bit more rich someday and will be able to get one or two of these for myself ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi............
Your blog posting is very good and theme base for which it is liking to ever girl.
Thanks
Cheap jewellery | Auction jewellery

Jill said...

All is this is just right up my alley. I don't think I could pick a favorite....although snakes always call to me!