Monday, September 21, 2009

Emmy Inspiration



{Via Yahoo}

Did you watch the Emmy's last night? I'm not a huge TV person, but I admit that I am compelled to watch awards shows for the fashion {and the faux-pas that inevitably occur}. I also love to look at the red carpet photos and compare my taste with the so-called "critics." I usually agree only about half the time...

::The Yahoo critics and I agreed that January Jones {of Mad Men fame} looked incredible in this futuristic Versace gown. It sort of has a Barbarella vibe, doesn't it? The intricate details and the perfect fit are just stunning.

::Drew Barrymore, how do I love thee?? This is a dream-dress by Monique Lhullier, pure and simple. She is glowing and adorable...and she looks like cotton candy {in a good way}.

::The reviewers HATED Kristen Wiig's dress...they didn't even bother naming the designer! But, I LOVE this dress! It has a glamorous-deco feel, and I am smitten by the details around the neck and on the sleeves. I would totally wear this.

::The critics panned Chloe Sevigny {as usual} and her Isaac Mizrahi dress -- I personally loved it! The polka dots are playful, but the cut and draping are completely classic and elegant. Her knack for simplicity combined with utter originality always blows me away...

What did you think, my lovely readers? What were your hits and misses for the night?

9 comments:

Ashe said...

I have to admit, while I LOVE January Jone's gown, her make-up does nothing for me. It looks like poorly done smokey eyes, and just ends up making her look like she slept in her make-up the night before...

Brigid said...

Drew Barrymore's dress was one of my absolute favorites. I love Monica Lhuillier! I also loved the fuchsia dress worn, I think, by the producer of Little Dorrit who gave the speech. Now I can't remember who it was, but I thought it was beautiful.

Poesis said...

Just wanted to say that your new header pic is absolutely fabulous! xoxo

Poesis said...

P.S. I LOVE both Chloe Sevigny's and Kristen Wiig's gowns. The black one reminds me of Morticia Addams (this to me is a huge compliment as I think of Morticia as a total cultural and style icon!) - so wonderfully and beautifully goth. But I think my fave amongst these four has to be Chloe's polka-dot quirky dreaminess. :)

{Tara} said...

Ashe -- I guess they were trying to keep the attention off her makeup and on the gown...it is a bit "blah".

Brigid -- I agree...Drew's was just so spectacular and feminine!

Poesis -- Thanks for the compliment on the header...I love it, too. I agree about the gothic vibe of Kristen's gown. I don't know why people always frown upon that!?

Wicked Darling said...

I think Drew Barrymore's dress has to be my hands down favorite! It is so dreamy and romantic. I just love it!

lisa butterworth said...

gah, drew's dress is a dream! and i adore chloe's lil' number too. the dresses are definitely my favorite part of awards shows. can't wait for the oscars!

{Tara} said...

Wicked -- I loved it, too! I think I used to have a Barbie with a dress like that when I was little ;)

Lisa -- Agreed! Very excited for the Oscar's.

Sam said...

January J looked very good I thought - really out there but contained and within reasonable good looking gal dressed up boarders - nicely done JJ! Drew - well she always looks wonderful because she's Drew - but It left me a little flat - I don't think it showed her off enough. Chloe - fabulous!!