Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Naughty Edwardian Postcard from Granny's Postcards

I just ordered this splendidly naughty postcard from Granny's Postcards!
It is from the early 1900's and the lovely lady definitely has a Gibson-Girl vibe. But the thing that won me over was the fact that she is smoking! Women were rarely depicted smoking until the 20's [and even then it was controversial], so it seems quite racy that she is not only holding a cigarette, but also blowing the smoke seductively into the man's mouth. Of course, postcards were always a platform for depicting taboo subjects, even when advertisers still had strict notions about what they could depict gender-wise. Can't wait to get my hands on it!!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

This looks fabulous!!

lune_blanc said...

I love it!
And also, what I said about the book cover designs in overseas and in Japan can also be said about postcards too. Japanese rarely even sends postcards or greeting cards, it's a shame.