Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yves Saint Laurent et Pierre Berge Auction at Christie's

PIET MONDRIAN (1872-1944) Composition avec bleu, rouge, jaune et noir

HENRI MATISSE (1869-1954) Les coucous, tapis bleu et rose


MARCEL DUCHAMP (1887-1968) Belle haleine - Eau de voilette

The much buzzed-about Christie's auction happening in Paris right now [and going through tomorrow] features the personal art collection of Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Berge and is reportedly the most valuable private collection ever sold at an auction. At least 8 of the works for sale are set at over 5 million dollars! I wish I could be there just to gawk at the array of gorgeous, rare artifacts they collected over the years before it all gets spread around to buyers across world. Check out the link -- you can look through the entire catalog online as well as highlights and prices.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I was reading about this today in awe- both at the incredible array of goods up for sale, and the astounding prices people were willing to bid! It would have been other-worldly to have been present...talk about the perfect storm for simultaneous people-watching and art-gazing! I don't think newspapers had to sensationalize when they called it the auction of the century.

Cris Piera said...

unfortunately I can't afford anything on that auction! :-(

how are u doing?

kisses from BCN!

Anonymous said...

the 'belle haleine' duchamp is wonderful. i just checked the price... oh my.

Paradis said...

Like Cris said: "unfortunately I can't afford anything on that auction"! Hahahha...at least we can dream!

Kisses Tara! ^^

Anonymous said...

I saw the collection in a gallery in Brussels a few weeks ago. Truly amazing, the guy had taste! The perfume bottle is one of my favorites too. Have a lovely weekend!

Love, Betsy.

lune_blanc said...

I saw this on news the other day....I wished I was there too, just to look(of course, no way I can afford to buy anything on there lol)
Marcel Duchamp's Belle haleine - Eau de voilette is lovely.

lotusgreen said...

that is such an amazing collection.