Tuesday, November 11, 2008

If I Were a Room, I Would Wear Red...and Purple, and Blue, and Orange...

How would you "dress" if you were a room? Would it reflect the way you dress in real-life? Or, would it express a different part of your personality? I tend to veer toward subdued colors, solids, and minimal accessories for day-to-day dressing. But, I LOVE dramatic colors, exotic patterns, kitschy and eclectic accessories, and odd, surprising details in my rooms. I have been gathering decorating inspiration for a while, so I thought I would share a few. If I were a room, I would dress something like this:



[My favorite -- Very Victorian]


[I like the Moroccan influence here]


[The collection of low-hung, antique silhouettes is so unexpected]



[Feels like Mexico...Frida would approve]


[So kitschy! love the 40's vintage feel]


[WOW!]


[The giant framed wallpaper is so fun and whimsical]



[Dark purple -- gutsy with the stark white; very gothic-Lolita]



[My favorite colors -- seafoam greens, blues and cherry red]


[I love the idea of a library and dining room in one]



[The stripes and the dark, antique-y pictures remind me of a cabinet of curiosity]



[Brown velvet with bright stripes? why not?]



[This is actually Coco Chanel's Paris home -- so wild!]



Somehow orange and black doesn't look like Halloween, but looks glamorous and cozy!



Like Alice in Wonderland on an Art Deco acid-trip.



A red bathroom is so sexy and unexpected!

11 comments:

porter hovey said...

Yes! All just fabulous choices. I think my favorite is the top photo!

Emily said...

all of these rooms are fabulous, but i'm gonna have to agree with you on the Victorian!

The Clothes Horse said...

Oh, I like these. But they're too organized and orderly for me--if I were a room I would be crowded and chaotic, more like a antique shop than a home.

Emma said...

Love the seafoam and red. Also, hello! I have a dining room and library combo! Well, kind of.

You guys up for karaoke this weekend in that room next to my dining room/library? Otherwise known as the living room? Let me know.

Airam said...

To be honest, I don't think I could settle with being a room - it would have to be a (quite large) house, where all the rooms had very different looks. Yes, I want it all ;)

jargonwithgestures said...

If I were a room, my "outfit" would probably be shabby chic (light neutral colors with a slightly unfinished look), accentuated by a few bright/bold/outlandish decor or furniture for accessories :-)

Browsing for vintage led me to your charming blog and I just wanted to say hello. The dining room library tickles my fancy as well; combines two of my favorite things; eating and reading! Thanks for sharing these lovely room ideas!

michiko said...

Great interior designs, though I know I can never live in a room like this (I'm too lazy to maintain heavily decorative rooms).
Love the red bathroom!

By the way, I tagged you on my blog, hope you don't mind?!

[Tara] said...

porter -- mine too...there is just something about the peacock and purple!

emily -- glad to know someone is as drawn to the garish-ness of that room other than myself!

clothes horse -- I think I would have that tendency as well, but I fight it...my parent's house was like an antique shop growing up, so it is a rebellious thing.

[Tara] said...

emma -- yay! a friend actually commented on my blog [jk]. I would LOVE to do karaoke in your dining/living room, except that I am in Nashville for a conference right now! Durn-it!

[Tara] said...

jargon -- I like the shabby chic look too, but it is hard to keep looking pristine, ecspecially with a dog, a cat, and a messy boyfriend. At least with colors, patterns, and darker shades, you can hide stuff ;)

michiko -- I'm honored! thanks so much!!

Sara Millionaire said...

I really love the one with the red lacquered stump stools. I'm attracted to rooms that have a chalet feel, with dark wood paneling and antlers on the walls and flokati rugs!