Saturday, August 23, 2008

Ruffle Your Feathers

In my travels to Brazil, I was always enamored by the beautiful Brazilian girls wearing colorful, exotic feather earrings. I bought a pair on one of my visits, but they were unfortunately ruined in my suitcase on the way back home. Luckily, feathers have been making a comeback in accessories and jewelry. I don't know why I haven't yet purchased another feather accessory. I think I am having a hard time deciding what I want the most: A headband? A barrette or comb? Earrings? Feathers are not exactly an understated accessory, so I don't want to overdo it too much... or do I?

I discovered an amazing store on Etsy named WildSpirits in the Sun House. The family of feather artisans is based in the San Juan mountains of Colorado, and their feather-work is over-the-top, ostentatious, and dramatic -- a perfect excuse to overdo it for a change! They make earrings, clips, combs, headbands, and hair pins. Here are a few of my favorite pieces. Of course, I'm still having a hard time deciding! What do you all think?


Peacock barrette, $26


Peacock and bronze feather hair pins, $14


Feather head-band, $38


Peacock combs, $28


Tropical feather earrings, $26

Just for fun (and because I'm a history nerd), here are some images I found featuring feather hair accessories and hats from the Edwardian period (1901-1910) up through the 20's. These make the feathered beauties above seem understated:



Edwardian feather headdress and hat (from alldressforms.com)


Flapper hat with feathers (Bennett's classic Art prints)



Feather flapper cloche hat with rhinestones (originally uploaded to auntjudysattic.com)

5 comments:

KLF said...

I adore how feathers are making a comeback! WOO!
love the headband you featured here!

Sharon S said...

The feathered headband is divine!!

Anonymous said...

I love the first barrette and the headband. I had a pair of earings that were very cool, but the peacock feathers are so delicate, they didn't last as long as I would have liked.

Unknown said...

this reminds me of my friend's feather in her hair (without a hat) when we went out to soundpony the other night, eh? i like the idea of nature on our bodies as decoration or expression...how lovely!

Chrissy Foreman C said...

Oh my goodness, these are fantastic!