Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wanna Join My Class?



...Well, virtually-speaking anyway. I am teaching a class this semester on the 1890's, and I'm very excited, because the fin de siecle is one of my absolute favorite time periods in art and literature! The reading list includes:
In addition, we will be reading poetry by Lord Alfred Douglas and Michael Field, as well as short fiction by George Egerton {one of my faves}. You can read along, and we can discuss. ;)

Oh, and don't forget to indulge in a bit of visual stimulation as well: Edward Munch, Aubrey Beardsley, William Morris, Toulouse Lautrec, Mary Cassatt, Degas, Alphonse Mucha, and J.W. Waterhouse.

Don't get me wrong, my students are brilliant, but it would be even more fun if you were here to chat with, too!

10 comments:

Moira said...

I'm intrigued. Will you be "teaching" and discussing on your blog. I might want to audit it ; )

Amy said...

Wow, congratulations, Tara! I'm sure you'll make an excellent teacher. The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my all-time favourites, and I just fell in love with The Importance of Being Earnest, which I had the pleasure of seeing at the Stratford Festival (a really fab theatre company in Canada). I would love it if you shared interesting points and discussions here!

Brigid said...

I love "The Awakening"! I would really like to read "Dorian Gray." I'll have to add it to my list.

eithlinn said...

Sounds interesting, I have read Dorian Gray, it's one of my favourites, I'd like to read the others too, so it's a great excuse to start!

{Tara} said...

Moira -- LOL, yes! We should have virtual discussions!

My Special -- I am so jealous you got to see it performed!

Brigid -- It's a wonderful read, and quick, too.

Eithlinn -- Let me know what you think ;)

Anonymous said...

I am so in - especially for the first two books! I am always a part of two book clubs and I am always looking for another place to discuss literature (good, bad or whatever!)

Sam said...

Oooh! My favourite era!! I'm a little obsessed with Victorian England (Victorian anything actually) and Edwardian stuff! I'll investigate this further when I get home this evening!

bloodmilk. said...

i want to join!

jasonwclark said...

Excellent site! Wonderful imagery!

I so wish I had access the time machine right now - you hit on the exact decade... I just finished reading Dijkstra's "Idols of Perversity" and "Dreamers of Decadence" by Philippe Jullian. This class would have been absolutely perfect. If you ever teach it again, please do let me know. I'd love to follow along :)

Here's an old Beardsley for your clickin' enjoyment:
http://www.archive.org/stream/
earlyworkwithpre00bearuoft#page/n9/mode/2up

{Tara} said...

Jason --thanks for stopping in! I also recently read "Idols of Perversity!" Incredible images and fascinating argument. I need to check out "Dreamers of Decadence" -- thanks for the suggestion...and thanks or the link, as well! I'm always on the lookout for more Beardsley...
Cheers!