Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Can This Be Made into an Outfit?

Domino magazine has a feature from time to time in which a really inspired outfit is translated into a room with interior design that matches in mood, color, pattern (or a combination of elements). I love this idea and wondered if I could do the reverse. Since I can't afford to redesign my humble apartment every time I see an inspiring outfit, I thought it would be more appropriate to play with the idea of taking an interior, a decorative item, a film, or any random piece of aesthetic loveliness and translate it into an outfit (either on Polyvore or on myself). So here is my first attempt with this garish, over-the-top, gorgeous commode from 1700's France. I tried to consider the time period as well as colors and materials when putting together the pieces. I'm usually a bit more reserved with color when it comes to my own clothes, but I would wear this entire ensemble in a heartbeat! (Click on the Polyvore box for detailed info on chosen items).



Commode Paris, ca. 1778 Cabinetry by Martin Carlin
Met Museum, NY

4 comments:

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

as an avid domino fan (i used to work for the magazine), i am also very into this feature. i love how you did this and adore the black clip and colored dress. really reminds me of the cabinet!

OptART said...

Nice dress! Think the shoes are a bit too high for NY walking though;)

Laminated Fragments said...

I totally think this is such a great idea. I wonder how this would work like really stream-lined contemporary furniture today, like at IKEA or something. I personally think you should e-mail this blog to someone at Project Runway and demand that they do a challenge like this. Hehe.

emsie said...

that balenciaga dress is amazing. love the florals.