Sunday, June 7, 2009

12 Summer Staples under $100: Inspired by Lucky Magazine

Kudos to Lucky Magazine this month for their "Everything under $100" issue -- a perfect theme, not only for these tough economic times, but also for anyone [for example, a graduate student...] who is on a tight budget. It was filled with great resources and ideas for looking great without breaking the bank, and I thought I would pay homage by choosing 12 of my favorite items from the magazine itself, as well as from some of the stores and sites they recommend:


Stripes just scream summer at the lake...




I don't know which I like more: the sweet striped babydoll dress by American Eagle or the amazing red band jacket from Brooklyn Industries.

You won't believe where this chic clutch is from...Payless! Abaete for Payless, that is.





I think I must have been a sailor in a former life, because I really just can't get enough of navy and white striped tops like this chic one from French Connection.

There is something so sultry about gold accessories and a summer tan...


A subtle ring from By Boe, just right for layering.



I also love this necklace from Botticelli's Niece -- the metallic flecks look so rough and organic, but they are made from spent brass bullets.





Gold Havaianas -- sexy and comfortable!!

And, it's just not summer without some bright, bohemian touches...


A kaleidescope of colors and natural fibers make this handbag from delight.com irresistible.




Nothing feels comfier and cooler on a hot summer day than a lightweight white slip-dress like this one from Victoria's Secret.


So very 70's -- chunky wood heels and bright leather make these Jeffrey Campbell's from Needsupply the perfect shoe for summer '09.


Lastly, cosmetic essentials inspired by fresh, fruity summer drinks...

Bergamot is a citrus fruit used in Earl Grey tea -- this L'Occitane version has such a fresh, tangy smell.

Minty lip balm by Eos: like a refreshing Mojito...and in such a cute shape!

Somewhere between Mango and Passionfruit -- a perfect new coral shade from Essie.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That nail polish has the perfect colour. Too bad I can't get my hands on it (pardon the pun) in time for all the exam concerts this week, it would have looked really great. How are you doing, by the way? :)

Sharon S said...

Hi there-hope you are well my dear! Thanks for sharing these, a navy and white striped tee is also on my wishlist too!

Sam said...

That little red band jacket *swoon*! And the light summer white frock: gorgeous! French connection top also lovely...gee maybe everything is great!

Brigid said...

I'm loving those Havaianas and the French Connection shirt. I'm a sucker for sailor-inspired stuff, too.

Unknown said...

purse - gotta have
chunky 70s shoes - must have

me love sailor stuff too. great picks.

Jessica Turnbow said...

I cant decide which I like most!

Sam said...

Hi again Tara! I've given your pretty blog and award!

s.i. michaels said...

You read my mind! Flipping thru it last night, I was using those little bookmarks like crazy, including a few of the things you've picked.

{Tara} said...

Airam -- I love the color, too, but for some reason I am having a hard time finding it! I am well, just so busy. Thanks for asking, dear.

Sharon -- they are just so versatile and classic, aren't they?

Sam -- I know!!! I swooned over it as well, and it is very reasonably priced.

{Tara} said...

Brigid -- Thanks so much! I told myself I wasn't going to buy any more flip-flops, but those Havaianas are just too good.

Tom -- Thank you!! I always seem to go for more 70's-inspired stuff in the summer. I guess because it seems so easy and loose.

Jessica -- LOL! Agreed.

Ambika -- Great minds DO think alike ;)